Thursday, October 16, 2008

Muffins 'n' Modesty


Well, I've actually had several experiences since the last post that were blog-worthy, but I didn't take the time to post them and I can't remember them right now. However, I would like to take a moment and give a shout-out of thanks to people who wear appropriate clothing. Here in California, I frequently have female patients who come in "strutting their stuff". I very frequently cannot wait to get the patient's bib on them to cover up their chest.
When I first started at the office where I currently work, one of the first patients I saw was one that started scary, but has since turned into something funny--in a scary sort of way.
I'm guessing that everyone is familiar with the term, "muffin top". I've always thought this is one of the funniest terms I've ever heard. Well, this lady was sploojed into some booty-shorts that gave her not one, not two, but three--count them--three muffin tops. One above the shorts, and two below--one where each thigh was screaming for sweet relief from the booty-short legs. 
Not to disparage anyone who could potentially have a muffin top given the right (or wrong, as the case may be) clothing--I personally seem to have a larger and larger potential muffin top day by day. I'm merely pointing out that people should wear clothes that fit whatever body type they may have!
Well, that day my assistant and I had a small discussion about this lady, mostly wondering if she had seen herself before she left the house that day, and also wondering how her circulation was in her legs when she sat down. 
The next time she came in, she was sploojed into a purple spandex jumpsuit and she was drrrenched (trill the "r"s there) in perfume. It doesn't help that she has curly hair and a mushroomy haircut...
The last time I saw that she was on our schedule, my assistant and I had a bet going on what she would be wearing. We were both pleasantly surprised because, while she still had the perfume, she was at least wearing clothes that fit and didn't make her look like fruit. We both lost the bet...
The moral of the story: Don't wear clothes that don't fit and make you look like fruit.

4 comments:

Sarah Coyne said...

What the?!? Muffin top? This is the first time I've heard this word (though I can imagine what it means! I did work at a "fitness" camp after all!)

Robin M. said...

I haven't heard of muffin top either, but I lived in California and remember well the extreme clothing styles. She must have good self esteem, though, as she seems to be comfortable with the way she looks. Is this a common occurance with your other patients as well, or is she just an oddity?

To Love said...

OK. I have heard of the term muffin top, and by the description you gave, she seems to fit the mold -- or muffin tin -- perfectly.

Perhaps she should be on the FRUIT OF THE LOOM commercial with the other puffed up fruit-like creatures.

Please bless that she comes in soon. I hope to read more about her hair and garb.

Mickey said...

Sadly, Robin, this is not the exception, but the norm. People are always trying to flaunt what they think they have--or in some cases the overabundance that they have...